So she pops this question off to me as she is eating her noodle lunch:
"Mama, what's your favorite kid books-
chapter books only-like books that people my age read?"
The quick list off the top of my head was
1. From the mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg
2. The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
3. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate
4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
5. Wonder by R.J. Polaccio
I quickly added Maggie Steifvater's The Raven Boys series even though it is YA. Too old for now she says. Just books I would have read.
And once I listened to her list I wanted to add some of hers on as well such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle-I had to really push her to read that book which was a school assignment and then once she got into it she couldn't stop.
Then I asked her for her choices:
1. 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
2. Ida B. by Katherine Hannigan
3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
4. Wonder by R.J. Polaccio
5. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
6. Crash by Jerry Spinelli
7. Pegasus series by Kate O'Hearn
8. Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
9. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
10. The Quirks by Erin Soderberg
11. Runaway Twin by Peg Kehret
12. The Land of Elyon series by Patrick Carman
And her 13th title is one we cannot remember title or author. It involves a troupe of traveling actors, a crow as her spirit animal and when she cannot kill her spirit animal she is banned from her community. For some reason I do not have it listed on my Goodreads account. If this synopsis rings a bell to you please let me know!
Happy reading and maybe our lists will inspire you to read one of our favorites.